We continue to be the only residential facility for victims of domestic and sexual violence in Boone County. The current facility was built in 1993 and is able to house 25 women and children comfortably. Along with staff, a core group of dedicated volunteers ensure victim access to services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
We provide a wide array of services to victims of domestic or sexual violence. The services are designed to empower women who have been battered or abused by an intimate partner and can provide the initial stage of the process of taking back control of their life. Services are offered at both residential and non-residential locations. We provide the following services at no cost to domestic and sexual violence victims and their children.
- Emergency Shelter – Safe shelter available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days of the year to victims and their minor children of domestic and sexual violence fleeing abusive situations.
- Domestic/Sexual Violence Education – Individual sessions about the nature and dynamics of domestic or sexual violence, including crisis intervention, safety planning and advocacy services.
- Outreach – Community education and awareness for audiences of all ages.
- Hotline – Referral information, emotional support and safety planning; Toll Free in Missouri available 24 hours a day 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
- Domestic Violence Enforcement Unit (DOVE) Advocacy – Columbia’s coordinated community response to domestic violence, including the Columbia Police Department, Boone County Sheriff’s Department, Boone County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office and Probation and Parole.
- Court Advocacy – Non-legal information, referral services, support through civil and some criminal procedures for victims of domestic and sexual violence.
- Hospital Advocacy – Support for victims of domestic or sexual violence in local area emergency rooms through advocacy, crisis intervention, emotional support and information about community resources.
- Counseling – Individual counseling sessions for meeting client goals in trauma recovery including post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Support Groups– Weekly sessions offering group support and recovering from relationship and sexual violence.